Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Drowning in the Depths....

"Live exclusively on the surface and you will surely drown in the depths"

That quote was from my page in my senior yearbook...every ounce of me still feels it to be true however the more I dive into the deep the more I wonder if it would be easier to just be gliding along the surface! I look at the people around me living only on the surface and I wonder why they appear so happy and contented...perhaps it is just a facade...perhaps they are too afraid to dive below into the depths...fear that what they might find they may not like.

I have always lived below in the depths it is a comfortable place for me...I may not be the sweetest or the funniest person you will meet but I am real. The few times in my life I have attempted to live on the surface it felt incredibly fake and contrived. I suppose there will always will times in life we need to put on a mask but I can't imagine having to keep it on for my whole life!


The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls a butterfly. ~ Richard Bach

It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it.
~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

6 comments:

Scott-N-Heather said...

All this diving stuff....you would think someone has a huge hole in their backyard. Send me a pic, I can't see over the fence!

Ingot said...

I like puzzles too much to live on the surface.

I gotta figure out what every ripple I see means, what it says about the deeper world.

Christy said...

I get accused of glossing over problems, thinking of the eternal.

One of my most hated phrases?

"What difference will it make in 100 years?"

Sort of negates all the small stuff.....

(Probably I need more empathy/sympathy......)

Drama said...

Star...it's almost done!!! Be thankful you are at work now...so freaking noisy!! Send pic soon!

Ingot...I think sometimes looking into everything can get you into trouble, but I would rather be in trouble than be ignorant to me world!

Christy...glossing over problems is different...a defense mechanism...I think truly you are a deep person that questions EVERYTHING!!

Ingot said...

It's sort of like active vs. passive sonar.

Passive sonar just listens to ambient noises, and creates a picture of the word from them.

Active is like a bat, they actually "screech" and listen to the echos.

Sometimes I'm active, asking questions, probing, guiding conversations to find something out...

But not usually. By far I'm more passive, just observing and making guesses as to people's motivations, quirks, wounds, and worries.

I do get into trouble now and then, but not often.

Good luck filling that big hole.

Anonymous said...

I like to live on the surface, to me that means living in the now and being open to change. I'd rather glide across the water, enjoying the sun than struggle in the depths. If I want I can always dive down and see what it's like in there.