Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I'll take the $7 bucket of popcorn please....


So today I went to the movies...it was a girl's day...took my older two shopping for school things...picked up the littlest one from her summer "camp" and headed to the local theater to see the latest American Girl movie, Kit Kitteridge. It has only been out of a few weeks but it already getting ready to be taken off the big screen...my friend and I couldn't figure out why but we thought we better pack up the girls and go before it's not an option to go.

I was happy when we got to the cashier I could finally use some of my coupons..."3 kids, 1 adult please"..."that will be $24"...with the coupon...umm...not that bad I guess...oh well...off we go to the concession stand...we casually brought in our drinks from the car however we did need popcorn..."$7 please"...damn...now I have been to the movies a few times this summer so not a huge shock but still annoying every time...oh well...off to the show.

Now that we have all five kids lined up the moms can sit down and relax. We knew the movie was about a little girl in the depression era but not much past that...well within the first 15 minutes we understood quite well. My friend leaned over..."didn't know this was going to be so depressing"...little ones are all watching intently. The movie had it's funny moments, it showed the strength and wit that we hope all our little girls grow up with, but all in all it was sad. We suddenly understood why this movie had not done well...it is a reminder of where America once was and how close we are again. The was a huge smack of reality right in the face.

While I loved the movie...I loved the characters, the plot...really it was very cute...I spent almost half the movie welled up or crying. The house foreclosures, people spending beyond their means, the father's losing jobs, the animals that must be given away as no one can afford to care for them and the look on the children's eyes that are just innocents in it all taking it in stride. OUCH! It was all a little to close for me and I am currently in no danger of those things happening to me so I can imagine for anyone who is it might be a bit much to take during a kids movie. My friend and I get why it will now be exiting the theater regardless of the fact that it really is a decent film.

All I thought about as I left was I just spent $7 on a bucket of popcorn that is half eaten...freaking popcorn! I just spent $24 on tickets like it was nothing...I am such an ass! My friend and I are both lucky....our hubbies are GREAT providers, neither of us really worries for much and our kids have never wanted for much of anything...how quickly it could all be taken away. My kids took away the lesson too, there were many questions on the way home, I tried not to dwell on all the negatives of things that could happen to us but rather the idea that we should be thankful for what we do have and maybe sometimes we need to remember how blessed we truly are. I know I have gone all sappy today but like I said it really was a smack of reality. I know one too many people that are rearranging their lives currently because of the economy and it scares the crap out of me!

I think I need to remind myself and my family every day how thankful we should really be....


Be thankful for what you have; you'll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don't have, you will never, ever have enough. ~ Oprah Winfrey


Blessed are those that can give without remembering and receive without forgetting. ~Author Unknown


Be Thankful

Be thankful that you don't already have everything you desire,
If you did, what would there be to look forward to?

Be thankful when you don't know something
For it gives you the opportunity to learn.

Be thankful for the difficult times.
During those times you grow.

Be thankful for your limitations
Because they give you opportunities for improvement.

Be thankful for each new challenge
Because it will build your strength and character.

Be thankful for your mistakes
They will teach you valuable lessons.

Be thankful when you're tired and weary
Because it means you've made a difference.

It is easy to be thankful for the good things.
A life of rich fulfillment comes to those who are also thankful for the setbacks.

GRATITUDE can turn a negative into a positive.
Find a way to be thankful for your troubles and they can become your blessings.
~ Author Unknown ~

1 comment:

Christy said...

I am grateful to be healthy.

Not in pain.

That's all I got, right now, though.