Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Take all your so-called problems, Better put them in quotations

Apologies and Forgivness.....hmmmmm....the world is full of both, unfortunately too much of the time they are falsely given. For too many people they are offered out of selfishness....how truly sad!

Apologies....

Apologizing - a very desperate habit - one that is rarely cured. Apology is only egotism wrong side out. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

A stiff apology is a second insult.... The injured party does not want to be compensated because he has been wronged; he wants to be healed because he has been hurt. ~G.K. Chesterton


It is a good rule in life never to apologize. The right sort of people do not want apologies, and the wrong sort take a mean advantage of them. ~P.G. Wodehouse


True remorse is never just a regret over consequence; it is a regret over motive. ~Mignon McLaughlin


When you realize you've made a mistake, make amends immediately. It's easier to eat crow while it's still warm.~ Dan Heist

......and forgiveness

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much. ~ Oscar Wilde


Our anger and annoyance are more detrimental to us than the things themselves which anger or annoy us. ~ Marcus Aurelius


Forgo your anger for a moment and save yourself a hundred days of trouble. ~ Chinese proverb


Forgiveness does not overlook the deed. It rises above it.~Pumla Gobodo-Madikizela


You know you have forgiven someone when he or she has harmless passage through your mind. ~ Rev. Karyl Huntley


Forgiveness is a gift you give to yourself. It is not something you do FOR someone else. ~ Larry James

Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it. ~ Mark Twain

The best apology against false accusers is silence and sufferance, and honest deeds set against dishonest words ~ John Milton

Actions truly do speak louder than words!

6 comments:

Christy said...

I had to think about an apology given selfishly.

Yes.

I can see it.

I rarely give or take them, so when I am wheedled into giving one, it might be selfishly to shut someone up.

I'm a bit different on that front now.

I am a good forgiver, but if I feel shamed into asking for forgiveness it is like pulling teeth.

Uh, maybe I do have issues with this....

Karen said...

Such a good song for this post.
I think most people apologize to make themselves feel better.

Scott-N-Heather said...

ah ha grasshopper..you are wise!

Drama said...

Christy, I too rarely give or take them. I don't believe in offering an apology you don't feel, it's bad karma...in my eyes it's better to say nothing at all. Now keep in mind this is the result for a SEVERELY screwed up childhood in which apologizes meant jack and crap!

If someone offers me an apology and I am not feeling that it is sincere or I am not ready to accept it I let them know kindly I appreciate it, but that's it. Because I do, I appreciate their efforts, that does not however always make things better...you gotta prove it!

I know I am a bitch, some things are just not up for negotiation! I don't need to be friends with everyone and I have little patience for people who stab me in the back say "oops, sorry" and think it's okay....and,yes, I know, I am jaded!!

Christy said...

I had to smile (not happily, but wistfully) when you talked of your childhood.

In my family, we just didn't acknowlege bad things.

My mom didn't like being upset, so we mostly, especially me, sailed under the radar.

I don't remember acknowleging any offenses.

And I don't remember ever asking for an apology. Ever.

Only recently have I been able to say I'm sorry. I used to be called a "teflon" person, in that I was a squirmer out of tight situations, an avoider...

musingwoman said...

Hello, my name is Musing and I'm a quotaholic, so it's nice to find your blog! I linked you on blogtations' "bloggers who quote" page.

About seeking forgiveness, I'm told I apologize too much. I'm sorry for everything.

Some of that comes from my inborn personality, but a lot of it comes, I think, from being teased as a kid. That, or because I was Asian in a past life.