Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Let me go home....

My thoughts for this week's subject matter have been scattered...something normally prompts me to choose a subject. Mine should be love this week, 10th anniversary and all, it should, I tried to make it work, but my mind wandered elsewhere. Honestly I have Ingot to blame, well maybe not blame but he prompted my line of thought. It is a hard line to follow...see Ingot is from the Louisville area, Louisville lives in my heart in a weird twisted way that I want to live there again but probably never really would. Louisville is where my one regret lies.....


Regret....I don't get it. Everything in life happens as it was supposed to, every day, every decision has it's purpose....the choices we make may not be right but they may take us to one that is, they may shape us into the way we were meant to be.


I have had some tough roads to walk down in my life and honestly I regret none of them. That may shock some that know me and know all my stories. Like I have always said, I was born into drama, I am like a magnet, but I wouldn't change it, because if I did I would change me. I am good with me, I feel like I am learning in this life what I am supposed to. I may not be happy all the time but I don't feel that is the point of life. No regrets, for choices I have made or for those that others have.


Except one, and in light of what I just said it is going to sound SO stupid. I had a home once, not a house, a home...in Louisville. Alot of people familiar with Louisville will know it, or at least where I am talking about. In Cherokee Triangle, big old house on the hill on the Parkway across from the Park. It was beautiful, it was my grandparents' house, it was the only real home I ever knew, the only stable thing I ever had in my life. I sold it. I sold it about five years ago. I knew in my heart it was the wrong choice, I knew the minute I did it. My only regret.....



Make it a rule of life never to regret and never to look back. Regret is an appalling waste of energy; you can't build on it; it's only for wallowing in. ~ Katherine Mansfield

I have no regrets. I wouldn't have lived my life the way I did if I was going to worry about what people were going to say. ~ Ingrid Bergman

If we fill our hours with regrets over the failures of yesterday, and with worries over the problems of tomorrow, we have no today in which to be thankful. ~ Unknown

Love is sometimes denied, sometimes lost, sometimes unrecognized, but in the end always found with no regrets, forever valued and kept treasured... ~ Unknown - see I got something about love in there after all :)

There are no regrets in life, just lessons. ~ Jennifer Aniston - Okay I know, but really she has a point at least....

Accept everything about yourself--I mean everything. You are you and that is the beginning and the end--no apologies, no regrets. ~ Henry Kessinger

All human beings have failings, all human beings have needs and temptations and stresses. Men and women who live together through long years get to know one another's failings; but they also come to know what is worthy of respect and admiration in those they live with and in themselves. If at the end one can say, This man used to the limit the powers that God granted him; he was worthy of love and respect and of the sacrifices of many people, made in order that he might achieve what he deemed to be his task, then that life has been lived well and there are no regrets. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Sometimes, struggles are exactly what we need in our life. If we were to go through our life without any obstacles, we would be crippled. We would not be as strong as what we could have been. Give every opportunity a chance, leave no room for regrets. ~ Unknown

7 comments:

Christy said...

You KNOW I have a Gibran quote, or snippet of a quote..

"...regret is the beclouding of the mind and not its chastisement."

Now, I have to wonder....why'd you sell?

$$$?

Cuz that is a valid reason, to fund your current family, the progeny...

I don't know of that house, but I bet Ingot does.

It looks--historic?

Ingot said...

Ok, that's not a house anyone in my family would be familiar with.

My father grew up on Hill Street, in a shotgun house. He was only the second generation away from a poor Irish immigrant.

My mother was the orphan of a lady that died of tuberculosis, she even spent time in the Waverly Sanitorium. She grew up with her aunt and cousin in a poor neighborhood on Kentucky Street, supported by her German grandfather.

THAT house? The Cherokee triangle neighborhood?

Nope, my family would have never seen it.

It does look historic though, like some of the places out by River Road.

Drama said...

:)....well, let's see Christy, why did I sell? $$$, yes and no....I am lucky not to be in desperate need of money, I say this not as bragging rights but more as an answer...I truly find money to be the root of all evil, I have plenty...I spend hardly any...it makes my hubby laugh...I know you are all rolling your eyes at me right now but if you lived my life you would understand.

The house is now about 110 years old or so, we owned it for about 60 of that time. The pic is a print in my house, it was taking a LONG time ago from the park before house were built around it. It was beautiful in a way I can't describe, most people were creeped out by it, it was like stepping back in time when you walked through the doors. It was filled with all sorts of mysteries and unexplained things...don't ask unless you really want to know. I sold it because my family couldn't live there without me putting hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of work into it, which the current owners did. My hubby would not have been comfortable living there and it was not fair to ask him to do so. It truly is a long complicated story, as are most things in my life.

Ingot, I appreciate your family history, my mother's side of the family was very similar in her Louisville upbringing....I come from generations of people living there! It's funny you say River Road, that was my mom's favorite place, she actually married my father because she figured he lived in a big old house like those on River Road, she couldn't go wrong...again, money root of all evil!

The house is actually about dead center on Cherokee Parkway, it was one of the original Longest houses...not that you really wanted to know, but I felt obliged to share! ;)

Christy said...

I don't know Louisville, hardly at all, so I don't really have any background, but...

About money....vs. plenty.

I have never wanted for much. I don't know why.

I haven't had to work most of my marriage, and right now? No amount of money could make my life appreciably better.

Now, I DO know people who's life could be helped with $$$.

You know...Ingot and I were just having a conversation about me being small, un-scary, powerless.

And he is big, perceived as scary, and strong.

He wasn't sure who had it worse, and *I* thought I'd rather HAVE the power and opt not to use it, rather that come from a position of weakness.

But I don't know what being looked at as maybe-not-gentle-giant has done to his life, his relationships.

I think it might be the same with money. If people are needing money, they always think, "Yeah, I'd like to be able to feel safe, to spend--or not--at my discretion."

But like me and Ingot, those people don't know what effect money might have on people around you, or even on your feelings about yourself.

(every now and then, to be honest, I've been glad I'm am benign presence, and middle-of-the-road in most areas....I've even written a post or two thanking my family for being so below average, so that whatever the f-- I do? I feel like a winner!!!!! LOL)

Christy said...

OOOHHHH!!!!

And I'd love to hear what SOUNDS like a paranormal story????

(Like the rest of my life, I have only average paranormal events. LOL)

Anonymous said...

I'm a huge ghost fan. I would love to know if you had any ghosts in the house. I have heard things before but not seen anything. In on apartment I lived in, the TV would c9ome on by itself, and the radio. and I heard sounds of moving furniture but nothing was being moved. bwahahahaha!

Drama said...

Christy, not a single thing in my life has been middle of the road, I am not sure what I would even do with middle of the road! The topic of money actually makes me so angry, people make such presumptions about people they assume have it. Not that some don't deserve it, but I personally can't stand it being part of the definition of me....maybe another reason I didn't keep the house!!

As far as the ghosts/supernatural experiences....maybe I will blog about it, I always hesitate because people tend to look at your like you have a second head when it's brought up!