Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The show must go on........


So I went to see Wicked this weekend! OMG!!! Those girls are AMAZING!!! This is one of those shows that I will definitely see again, hopefully this fall in NYC! :) The greatest thing for me about this show was that I got lost in it...that requires alot for me. I love theater, I love the stage, I love going to shows, however during most shows I am picking it apart in my head, imaging the goings on backstage. See that is my love, theater production. I regret everyday that I let my mother convince me to go into business as a major instead. But I got lost in Wicked, it was that amazing. I wasn't concerned about how the costume changes went, where the props where coming from, watching the catwalk above me, I just really enjoyed it, it was a nice change!


This leads me to the other reason for my blog today...I am freaking out!! I decided a few months back that I would go back to school, complete at a minimum my AS in theater production. I royally screwed up in college....all about the boys and the parties! Anyhow, here it is over 10 years since I was last in college and I am freaking. The reason for my FREAKING is quite simple, not fear of the classes or the work, but rather the CPT....the damn College Placement Test!! Apparently if you have been out of school as long as me you have to take this test when you attempt to go back. It means nothing that my GPA was 3.8 and that the SAT was well over 1200 back 13 years ago, humility is not my strong suit, I am trying here people. Now it is all about me taking these tests to make sure I don't need any remedial classes! Are you kidding me?????? So I decided to take some practice ones online, English, Reading, Arithmetic and Algebra. Should have been a breeze.....well let's say I passed the Reading and English, my worst subjects btw, the arithmetic was okay, not great though, now the algebra I FAILED, miserably, as in less than a 60%!!!!! My hubby stood behind me and laughed as I tried to remember how the hell to factor!! Please note people I took Calculus at a freaking gifted school, again with the humble, not so good at it! ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? 60%.....I am now officially FREAKING OUT!! How did I get so stupid? I am very concerned! I used to be a smart person. I have felt my brain slowly seeping out over the years. I do understand that the choice I made to be a stay at home mom was not conducive to stimulating intellectual conversation, but still I should remember how to factor.


Currently I am trying to reassure myself that with a few weeks of studying I will be fine. I refuse to take remedial classes to be able to take classes to learn how to handle stage production! See I am a lucky girl, I have one fabulous hubby, not only have I been able to stay home all these years but now that I am going back to school it is for something fun with next to nothing as a paycheck. What makes him even better is the fact that if it were up to him he would be right there along with me. I feel so guilty being able to fulfill my dreams while he is working to support our family. Don't get me wrong, he does not hate his job, well not most days, and he is AWESOME at it, but in an ideal world it would not be his top choice. So I say to him thank you for letting me get to play!


So later this week I will be stopping by the bookstore on the local community college's campus to pick up my study guide to reteach me things that I learned in middle school. Are we having fun yet?!

3 comments:

Christy said...

Damn, Drama.....are you my twin?

I had the same fears, findings when I started back to school--minus the good GPA same parties, guys.

You CAN develop new dendritic connections at any age--I swear it, and I learned it in anatomy, got an "A" on the test to boot.

So even though you may not use your algebraic knowlege in theater production, you would like to know you can still cut it, right?

(btw, I've been a stay-at-home mom for EVER)

My mind works at a faster clip now that I put it through the paces. It's a good, good thing, what you're doing.

You're starting, or beginning to start phase II of drama's story!

(And you're early! I'm so old I'm already perimenopausal! Congrats on being so timely!)

Scott-N-Heather said...

LOL it's called baby brain and in your case times three. Don't worry it will come back with a little refresher. Congrats on deciding to go back to school :)

My brain has come back some in the past two weeks if that is any comfort to you.

Scott-N-Heather said...

LOL it's called baby brain and in your case times three. Don't worry it will come back with a little refresher. Congrats on deciding to go back to school :)

My brain has come back some in the past two weeks if that is any comfort to you.